The Festival Scholarship Scheme is open to all writers aged 18-25 who would like to apply for a free weekend package at the Festival. This amounts to a saving of £475 and includes 4 one-to-one appointments with agents and editors, 2 all-day courses, four Saturday talks and entry to the Keynote plus lunch each day.
Please note: this EXCLUDES breakfast, dinner, accommodation and travel WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ONE AWARDEE whose weekend place, accommodation over three nights (in single student accommodation), breakfasts and two evening meals, plus travel costs up to £100, will be sponsored most generously by Monica Woods, a previous attendee. This additional support will be awarded to the person whose application indicates greatest need. If you don’t wish to be considered for this additional support, please say so in your application. The identity of this awardee will remain confidential, unless the awardee wishes it to be known.
There are 10 scholarship places available, and applications should be made by email to the Festival Director, Judith.Heneghan@winchester.ac.uk. Please insert ‘Festival Scholarship Scheme’ in the subject title of your email.
What to include in your application:
- A statement of 200 words maximum outlining your writing interests and details of any publications/performances or publishing experience, as well as what you hope to get out of the Festival.
- A page of prose (may be a complete piece or part of something longer) or a single poem that showcases your creative writing.
- Contact details including postal address, telephone number and date of birth.
Applications will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Evidence for strong commitment to the practice of creative writing.
- Commitment to dissemination of creative work (via publications, competitions, performances, open mic readings, community events and so on).
- High level communication skills.
- Willingness to engage with the Festival’s aims and activities, including social media, and to meet with other Scholarship writers.
- Proof of age (eg passport or driving licence copy) will be required on receipt of offer of a scholarship place. Applicants must be aged between 18 and 25 at the time of the Festival.
Applications will be accepted up until 13 April, 2018. Successful applicants will be able to make their selections for workshops and one-to-ones once their place is confirmed, shortly after the deadline on 13 April, 2018.
Winchester Writers’ Festival Bursary
Due to the generosity of many Festival attendees, the Winchester Writers’ Festival Bursary Fund has a number of £50 bursaries available for writers experiencing financial difficulty.
This offer is open to all Festival package applicants. Please apply by email to Judith.Heneghan@winchester.ac.uk with ‘Festival bursary’ in the subject line, with a brief note about yourself.