The Lindsay Literary Scholarship
The Lindsay Literary Agency began sponsoring a fully funded place at the Winchester Writers’ Festival in 2018 and we are delighted to announce that they are doing the same in 2019.
The scholarship is awarded to a children’s fiction writer (YA or middle grade), of any age, from an under-represented background. The funding covers the cost of three days at the Festival, access to all workshops and talks, four one-to-one appointments with industry experts, all meals, accommodation and a grant (max £100) towards travel to and from Winchester.
The Winchester Writers’ Festival 2019 will take place from 14th-16th June.
Who can apply?
Any writer who lives in the UK or Ireland and comes from an under-represented background may apply. The scholarship recognises all diverse experiences, including (but not limited to) LGBTQIA, BAME, gender diversity, people with disabilities, and ethnic, cultural, and religious minorities. Applicants are asked to self-identify with regard to their under-represented background.
Applicants can be unpublished or self-published but must be un-agented. Each submission will be judged solely on the work submitted and its potential together with the statement supplied.
How to submit?
- Entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org In the subject line please put Lindsay Literary Scholarship 2019 Entry.
- In the body of the email, please include your name, address, email and telephone.
3.Please attach your work-in-progress sample: 4,000 words from the opening of your unpublished or self-published novel.
- Please attach your statement. This should be 500 or fewer words in a Word document. Please give some details on your writing background, whether you are unpublished or self-published, how attending the Festival will help you in your writing career, how you meet the criteria for this opportunity and why you should be awarded the scholarship. Please include information on any relevant writing courses, degree or MA courses you are attending or have completed.5. Please attach your synopsis. This should be 500 or fewer words in a Word document.
Deadline: Monday, 4 March 2019 at midnight.
Terms and Conditions
- Work should be the applicant’s own and should not be under contract with a publisher
- Applicants must be un-agented
- You may submit work that has previously been self-published.
- The work must be part of a complete work.
- The work must be suitable for middle-grade or YA readers, no picture books.
- If you have completed an MA in creative writing or are currently taking part in a similar course please make this clear in your statement.
- Amendments cannot be made once the Work has been submitted.
- No more than one submission can be made per person.
- The winner of the Scholarship will be announced on or before 29th April 2019. If you have not heard by this date unfortunately you may assume you have not been successful.
- If the winner of the Scholarship cannot be contacted or does not respond within 14 days the Lindsay Literary Agency reserves the right to select another Scholar from entries which were received before the closing date.
- Due to the high volume of submissions, the Lindsay Literary Agency is unable to contact applicants on progress of submissions. However, applicants will receive an automated acknowledgement of receipt by email.
- Applicants who sign a contract with a publisher or agent before the 2019 Winchester Writers’ Festival must withdraw.
- Lindsay Literary Agency together with the Winchester Writers’ Festival will announce the name of the awardee unless they request to remain anonymous (please state this clearly on your submission email if this is the case).
- Any changes to the Terms & Conditions will be posted on the Lindsay Literary Agency’s website.
Submissions not in compliance with the rules will be disqualified. Please send all entries and enquiries email@example.com
Winchester Writers’ Festival Bursary –
for writers of any age
Due to the generosity of many Festival attendees, the Winchester Writers’ Festival Bursary Fund has a number of £50 bursaries available for writers experiencing financial difficulty.
This offer is open to all Festival package applicants. Please apply by email to Sara.Gangai@winchester.ac.uk with ‘Festival bursary’ in the subject line, with a brief note about yourself. Deadline: 10 May, 2019
The Monica Wood Scholarship 2019
Applications must be received by 15th March.
The Monica Wood Scholarship is open to a writer aged 18-25 who would like to apply for a free weekend package at the Festival. This includes 4 one-to-one appointments with agents and editors, 2 all-day courses, four Saturday talks and entry to the Keynote plus lunch each day.
Please note: this also includes accommodation over three nights (in single student accommodation), breakfasts and two evening meals, plus travel costs to a maximum of £100. The identity of this awardee will remain confidential, unless the awardee wishes it to be known.
Applications should be made by email to Sara.Gangai@winchester.ac.uk. Please insert ‘Monica Wood Scholarship’ in the subject title of your email.
What to include in your application:
- A statement of 200 words maximum outlining your writing interests and details of any publications/performances or publishing experience, as well as what you hope to get out of the Festival.
- Two pages of prose (may be a complete piece or part of something longer) or two poems that showcase your creative writing.
- Contact details including postal address, telephone number and date of birth.
Applications will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Evidence for strong commitment to the practice of creative writing.
- Commitment to dissemination of creative work (via publications, competitions, performances, open mic readings, community events and so on).
- High level communication skills.
- Willingness to engage with the Festival’s aims and activities, including social media.
- Proof of age (eg passport or driving licence copy) will be required on receipt of offer of a scholarship place. Applicants must be aged between 18 and 25 at the time of the Festival.
Applications must be received by 15th March. No applications will be considered after this date.