The deadline for applications for the Festival Scholarship Scheme and Writers’ Festival Bursary has passed. Please apply next year!
The Festival Scholarship Scheme is open to all writers aged 18-25 who would like to apply for a free weekend package at the Festival which takes place on 16-18 June 2017. This amounts to a saving of over £400 and includes 4 one-to-one appointments with agents and editors, 2 all-day courses, four Saturday talks and entry to the Keynote with special guest Lemn Sissay plus lunch each day.
NB it excludes breakfast, dinner, accommodation and travel.
There are 10 scholarship places available, and applications should be made by email to the Festival Director, Judith.Heneghan@winchester.ac.uk. Please insert ‘Festival Scholarship Scheme’ in the subject title of your email.
What to include in your application:
- A statement of 200 words maximum outlining your writing interests and details of any publications/performances or publishing experience, as well as what you hope to get out of the Festival.
- A page of prose (300 words max – may be a complete piece or part of something longer) or a single poem that showcases your creative writing.
- Contact details including postal address, telephone number and date of birth.
- A scanned copy of some form of official photo ID as proof of date of birth (you must be aged between 18 and 25 at the time of the Festival itself).
Applications will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Evidence for strong commitment to the practice of creative writing.
- Commitment to dissemination of creative work (via publications, competitions, performances, open mic readings, community events and so on).
- High level communication skills.
- Willingness to engage with the Festival’s aims and activities, including social media, and to meet with other Scholarship writers.
Successful applicants will be able to make their selections for workshops and one-to-ones once their place is confirmed, shortly after the deadline of Fri 7 April, 2017.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Winchester Writers’ Festival Bursary
Due to the generosity of many Festival attendees, the Winchester Writers’ Festival Bursary Fund has a number of £50 bursaries available for writers experiencing financial difficulty.
This offer is open to all Festival package applicants. To apply, please email Judith.Heneghan@winchester.ac.uk with the following details:
- Your writing experiences
- Classes you have attended
- Writing organisations to which you belong
- Writing successes
- Your objectives for the future and your reasons for applying
Please include the words ‘Bursary Application’ as the email subject and be sure to include your full name. Deadline is 14 April, 2017. Successful applicants will be notified on 18 April, 2017 with instructions on how to book.