The deadline for applications for the Festival Scholarship Scheme and Writers’ Festival Bursary has passed. The bursaries will open again in February, 2018.
The Festival Scholarship Scheme is open to all writers aged 18-25 who would like to apply for a free weekend package at the Festival. This amounts to a saving of over £400 and includes 4 one-to-one appointments with agents and editors, 2 all-day courses, four Saturday talks and entry to the Keynote plus lunch each day.
NB it excludes breakfast, dinner, accommodation and travel.
There are generally 10 scholarship places available, and applications should be made by email to the Festival Director, Judith.Heneghan@winchester.ac.uk. Please insert ‘Festival Scholarship Scheme’ in the subject title of your email.
What to include in your application:
- A statement of 200 words maximum outlining your writing interests and details of any publications/performances or publishing experience, as well as what you hope to get out of the Festival.
- A page of prose (300 words max – may be a complete piece or part of something longer) or a single poem that showcases your creative writing.
- Contact details including postal address, telephone number and date of birth.
- A scanned copy of some form of official photo ID as proof of date of birth (you must be aged between 18 and 25 at the time of the Festival itself).
Applications will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Evidence for strong commitment to the practice of creative writing.
- Commitment to dissemination of creative work (via publications, competitions, performances, open mic readings, community events and so on).
- High level communication skills.
- Willingness to engage with the Festival’s aims and activities, including social media, and to meet with other Scholarship writers.
Successful applicants will be able to make their selections for workshops and one-to-ones once their place is confirmed, shortly after the deadline in April.
Winchester Writers’ Festival Bursary
Due to the generosity of many Festival attendees, the Winchester Writers’ Festival Bursary Fund has a number of £50 bursaries available for writers experiencing financial difficulty.
This offer is open to all Festival package applicants. Applications will open in February, 2018.